Attention Marketing Executives –
Get strategic copywriting that shortens the sales cycle
We help companies large and small solve the following kinds of problems:
- Pressure due to a high volume of writing projects
- Frustration over copy that’s off strategy
- Difficulty finding a writer who can describe complex products in a simple way
- Distress over copy that isn’t connecting with customers and prospects.
If any of these issues sound familiar to you, maybe we should talk. The Copywriting Detective draws on priceless knowledge derived from work on brands including Dreyfus, Häagen-Dazs, Lexis-Nexis, McGraw-Hill, Scholastic, Scotts, Standard & Poor’s, TIAA, Value Line and more.
What we believe about copywriting
In our experience, the best business relationships are the ones where there’s similar thinking about the role of copywriting. So we’re sharing some of our core beliefs below.
- The number one job of copywriting is to shorten and/or streamline the sales process. We understand customers often require education. We just like to get the sale first and educate later.
- Words sell. For the record, we care about design and typography. However, in our work with complex products and services, it’s the words that do the selling. Words describe the solution your company offers. And words convince people to take action.
- Keep it simple. We’re big believers in making things just as simple as possible for customers. It’s worth the extra effort to boil ideas down to their essence. And if you don’t need to describe a particular feature to make the sale, leave it out.
- A Creative (or Marketing) Brief is incredibly important. People often think they don’t have time to prepare a Creative Brief. However, a tremendous amount of time and effort can be lost when a project moves forward without one. It’s similar to building a house without a blueprint: delays and cost overruns are bound to follow.
- Buying decisions are emotional. Copy should reflect this reality.
- It pays to take a walk in the customer’s shoes. Good copywriting integrates the customer’s point of view. We strive to keep buying motivations front and center.
And when it comes to judging copy, the only opinion that really matters is the one that belongs to your customers. When an ad is placed in the market, potential customers will let you know if the message is on target.
If these beliefs make sense to you, give us a call at 1-844-267-9223. Or use the Contact form to send us an email.
A few words about our copywriting process
This is where the “detective” part of our name really comes into play. It takes clear thinking and preparation to unravel marketing mysteries. The steps below describe our basic approach.
- Study your product or service carefully in order to create an airtight case for purchase.
- Put your competition under a magnifying glass to identify untapped marketing opportunities.
- Investigate industry trends for ways to differentiate your company.
- Examine your past marketing efforts to understand what does and doesn’t work.
- Listen to customers for clues about what motivates them to buy.
By following this approach, we’re able to craft messages that both capture the DNA of your brand and get prospects to take action.
You don’t have to take our word for it.
Read what other people have said about
our copywriting skills…
Over the years, colleagues and managers have frequently praised
the Copywriting Detective (a.k.a. Bill) for his copywriting skills. A sampling follows:
“Bill’s copywriting skills, especially on complicated, technically oriented business-to-business assignments…have made significant contributions to client-agency relationships.”
“Bill consistently produces high quality deliverables that achieve the desired results. He has an extremely high level of attention to detail, and always utilizes that skill to improve results.”
“I worked with Bill for many years and he is an astonishingly talented copywriter and creative strategist. His insight goes beyond mere technical proficiency to pinpointing what does and doesn’t work and what can and can’t work with a particular piece of creative. What’s more, Bill is equally at home in the digital space as he is in the traditional ink and paper world. He is thorough, becomes fully versed in his subject matter, and delivers exceptional work on time and on budget.”
…and what it’s like to work with us
“Bill understands and communicates the necessity of change to enhance [the company’s] business practices and results. He readily adapts to new requirements and is flexible in meeting changed objectives.”
“Bill’s greatest strengths are his in-depth knowledge of [the company’s] products and his
well-honed interpersonal skills. He is a man of high integrity who is always willing
to help others and always follows through on his commitments.
He focuses on doing the best job possible.”
Is your team stretched too thin? In need of strategic copywriting talent?
Yes, I have a need for strategic copywriting and I may be able to use your knowledge and skills on my team. Let’s have a brief call to decide if it makes sense to meet in person.
Call or send an email to the Copywriting Detective